Rhinoplasty or “Nose job” is a very common plastic surgical procedure performed on female and male patients after they have finished growing. Typically, a very common primary complaint includes a “hump” or “bump” on the nose, which is especially apparent in the side view. This profile change is the most common problem that brings patients to a plastic surgeon inquiring about cosmetic rhinoplasty.
- The nasal profile has gotten even more attention with the increased popularity of “selfie” photos.
Decreasing the hump on the nose usually involves: smoothing both bone and cartilage on the dorsum of the nose.
- A large dorsal hump reduction will likely need osteotomies, which are controlled fractures of the nose to the help narrow the opening created by removing the hump.
- The nasal cartilages need to be replaced accurately as well, which is a very common source of long term breathing and asthetic problems if not performed.
- The nasal tip will likely need to be refined to match the new nasal profile.
A closed rhinoplasty may sound like the better choice to reduce the nasal dorsum, however these aforementioned nuances of dorsal hump reduction cannot be accurately completed. Open rhinoplasty for dorsal hump reduction helps to visualize the cartilage and bone removed with accurate appraisal of the reduction amount and need for ancillary procedures, like osteotomies and cartilage grafting. Dorsal profile for the female nose and male nose do differ and this can be accurately performed with a cosmetic rhinoplasty.
- Closed Rhinoplasty is performed through incisions inside the nostrils
- Open Rhinoplasty is performed through a central and nostril incision to help lift the skin off the nasal cartilage and boney framework. This gives direct exposure to the components of rhinoplasty.
After a rhinoplasty for dorsal hump reduction, tape and a splint are placed on the nose to help control swelling and protect the nose. These are removed at the one week point.
- Swelling and bruising may last about 3 weeks with the final result being seen at the 6 month to one year point.
Dr. Trussler in Austin Texas has significant experience in cosmetic and functional rhinoplasty. A consultation in his Austin Texas plastic surgery office will help to identify the points of concern and the options for correction. Improve your profile with a rhinoplasty for nasal dorsal refinement with Dr. Trussler in Austin.