For a man experiencing gender dysphoria, breasts are a symbol of femininity and being a woman, and they are something that their assigned gender doesn’t provide. Breast feminization surgery, also known as top surgery, for transgender women can give you the breast shape, size, and overall appearance you’ve always wanted.
Dr. Andrew P. Trussler performs breast augmentation to help transgender women transition physically to their self-affirmed gender.
Would I Be A Good Candidate For MTF Breast Augmentation In Austin, TX?
To be good candidates for these procedures, patients need to be in good health physically and mentally, without significant medical issues such as diabetes, hypertension, or cancer. They need to be within 10 percent of their ideal weight and preferably be non-smokers, or at least willing to quit for 2-4 weeks prior to and after surgery. Patients need to be 18 years old and currently on hormone therapy.
During your consultation with Dr. Trussler, he stresses that his MTF breast augmentation patients need to have realistic expectations for these surgeries. This procedure will change the patient’s body to better fit with their expressed gender, but it won’t create perfection.
Do I Need To Be On Hormone Therapy Before Breast feminization surgery?
Patients do need to be on hormone therapy toward feminization. This will create the appropriate amount of breast tissue necessary to adequately cover your implants. It’s best if the patient has been on hormone therapy for some time. If hormone therapy has not produced the necessary amount of breast tissue to cover the implants, Dr. Trussler can utilize a tissue expander to stretch the skin layers in the chest until they have an adequate amount of surface area. This usually is only necessary if the patient desires larger breast cup sizes.
What Decisions Will I Need To Make About My MTF Breast Augmentation?
There are various options available with MTF breast augmentation, and you’ll work with Dr. Trussler during your consultation to make your choices from the following categories:
- Implant Type — You’ll choose between silicone, saline, and gummy bear (highly cohesive) implant types.
- Implant Size — Breast implants are sized based on the amount of material filling the silicone outer shell. This is measured in cubic centimeters, CCs. For instance, your implants could be 350 CCs.
- Implant Projection — Different implants have different profiles: low profile, moderate, moderate plus, high, and ultra-high profile. The profile of a breast implant refers to how much an implant projects forward from the chest wall when the person is standing.
- Incision Location — You will decide the incision location for Dr. Trussler to insert your implants. They can be placed with incisions made around the areola complexes, along the breast crease at the bottom of the breast, or through the armpits. Obviously, the trans-axillary incisions made through the armpit create no visible scarring on the breasts.
- Implant Placement — You’ll decide if you want your implants placed below the breast tissue but above the pectoral muscles or below the pectoral muscles.
How Is Transgender Breast Augmentation Performed?
Dr. Trussler performs transgender breast augmentation with the patient under general anesthesia. The procedure takes about 2 hours.
Breast implants are placed to increase the breast size, just as with female breast augmentation. Dr. Trussler makes the incision, creates a pocket to hold the implant, and then places the implant. Saline implants are placed empty and then filled in place. This allows for smaller incisions. Silicone or gummy bear implants are placed already filled. Once the implant is in place, Dr. Trussler checks for symmetry, and then the incision is closed.
What Results Can I Expect From Breast Augmentation With Dr. Trussler?
MTF breast augmentation can enhance the breasts and provide these attributes:
- Increased size
- Increased shape
- Enhanced projection and cleavage
- Improved nipple shape
- Improved breast symmetry
- Enhanced overall breast appearance
What Is Recovery Like After Transgender Breast Augmentation?
These surgeries do not create overly difficult recovery, although the increased musculature involved with MTF augmentation can create more soreness and discomfort for a few days. After your surgery, your breasts will be bandaged, and you’ll be in a surgical bra. This will transition to a support bra and then to a strong sports bra. You’ll need to wear these for 24 hours a day for about a month, as this limits the stress on your incisions. It also helps to limit swelling.
Most patients can return to work in 5-7 days, but heavy lifting needs to be avoided for 6 weeks to limit stress on your pectoral muscles and entire chest area. Strenuous exercise also needs to wait for about 6 weeks. You will have scarring along your incisions, but this will fade over the next 2-3 months. We will also provide you with scar care to use once your sutures are removed.
The Risks Of MTF Breast Augmentation
This is surgery, and it entails all of the risks involved with such: excessive bleeding, poor incision healing, reaction to anesthesia, infection, and the like. These are rare with this procedure.
Specific to WTF breast augmentation, these are the risks:
- Capsular contracture, where scar tissue forms around and distorts the implant shape
- Fluid accumulation beneath the skin
- Bleeding around the implant
- Breast pain
- The asymmetry between the breasts
- Implant displacement
- Implant rupture
Schedule Your Consultation Today!
If you would be interested in learning more about the breast feminization procedure offered by Andrew P. Trussler, MD to male-to-female transgender patients of Austin, TX, please contact our office at (512) 450-1077 today!