Dermaplaning Austin, TX
Dermaplaning, also know as microplaning or microblading, has been used as an effective non-invasive modality to help smooth the skin. This procedure is designed to remove the outermost layers of dead skin cells on the face. Dermaplaning treatment in Austin, TX involves exfoliation of targeted areas of the surface layers of the skin using a very small blade. The blade is gently passed at an angle over the skin, much like shaving.
Unlike strong exfoliating chemical and laser peels, dermaplaning alone uses no chemicals, and therefore causes less irritation. The result is skin that is immediately freshened and vitalized, even after one treatment. Patients often benefit from multiple tretaments spaced three to four weeks apart.
- Dermaplaning can be followed by a light chemical peel to further smooth the skin
Dermaplaning and chemical peels can be individualized for the skin type and goals of the procedure. Dr. Trussler has significant experience with multiple chemical peeling agents and can help to design a dermplaning regimen that is right for your skin.
What Are My Options?
Dermaplaning can be an alternative to chemical peels or microdermabrasion, and may be ideal for patients with extremely sensitive skin, unwanted facial hair, rosacea, or visible facial veins. The treatment can also be combined with a chemical peel to allow the peel to penetrate the skin more deeply and evenly.
Dermaplaning is especially effective on those patients with dry or rough skin texture and helps to minimize superficial acne scarring or uneven skin tone. it is also beneficial for mature skin, which tends to have a buildup of dead cells as cellular turnover slows down with age.
It is safe for pregnant or lactating patients who cannot have chemical peels.
Dermaplaning is recommended for all skin types except those with active cystic acne and pustular rosacea. If these conditions exist, treat breakouts and wait until they clear prior to the treatment.
Dermaplaning can be used to improve the health of the skin. Treatments can be altered to fit most skin types.
- Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduction int he appearance of deep acne scars
- Smoother, more even complexion
- Removal of fine facial hair, commonly referred to as “peach fuzz”
- Enhanced penetration of skin care products following treatment
- Dermaplaning can help restore, rejuvenate and repair the skin through controlled removal of unwanted fine hair and dead skin.
Fine lines, skin tone, texture and pigment can all be improved with a dermaplaning. Each dermaplaning procedure performed by Dr. Trussler can achieve a natural rejuvenated look without the need to undergo an invasive procedure.
- Dermaplaning can be commonly combined with other non-invasive skin procedures, such as chemical peels and microneedling.
It is important for patients to realize that dermaplaning does have risks which do vary directly with the skin type and depth of procedure. Common risks of dermaplaning include: infection, scarring, pigmentation changes, and un-eveness. Procedure planning, including depth selection, skin pretreatment and viral prophylaxis can all help decrease the risks involved with dermaplaning. Dr. Trussler will discuss any risks with you prior to treatment in order to ensure the most successful results for your procedure.
Dermaplaning procedures are performed as an in-office procedure that is painless with little to no downtime. There is no need for any topical or injectable anesthesia and the sensation is compared to that of shaving.
- All dermaplaning patients should be evaluated for risk of viral infection and sun exposure.
- No make-up or moisturizer should be applied to the skin the day of the procedure.
It is important to be compliant with a skin care regimen before and after the procedure, including a retinol and skin lightener. The skin is cleaned and dried prior to the procedure. The skin is pulled taut and with short strokes, the dead skin cells and fine hair is scraped with a sterile blade. This is done segmentally in each area of the face until the whole face is soft and fuzz free. After the procedure, skin is cleansed and moisturized. There may be mild redness and sensitivity, but downtime is minimal. It is ideal to repeat this procedure every 4 to 6 weeks to help freshen and smooth the skin.
After Care & Recovery
Dermaplaning and other associated skin procedures are performed as in-office procedure with little recovery needed. All patients should have a stable skin care regimen which has been utilized for at least 3 weeks ahead of time. This will be resumed after the skin has healed after the initial peeling period.
- A gentle moisturizer and lotion based cleanser should be used twice daily after the procedure and through the healing phase.
- It is important not to pick or rub the skin during the peeling phase of the recovery so that a deeper wound is not created.
- Sunscreen must be used to protect the skin from the harmful UV rays after the procedure
All skin treatments carry potential risks including: premature peeling, infection, allergic reactions, persistent redness, scarring, acne eruptions, and pigment changes. Proper skin preparation, infection prophylaxis, and adherence to the post-peel instructions (given to patient) will decrease the risk of complications, and improve the ultimate result of the procedure.
- Herbig K, Trussler AP, Khosla R, Rohrich RJ. Combination Jessner’s Solution and TCA Chemical Peel for Facial Rhytides: Technique and Outcomes. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Sep;124 (3):955-64.
Whether you have a question or would like to setup a dermaplaning consultation, Dr. Trussler and his staff are here to help. Please fill out our contact form, or call our office at (512) 450-1077 to schedule an appointment. Start your skin resurfacing journey to not only looking, but feeling better today!