What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a very popular in-office, minimally invasive skin treatment that helps improve numerous aspects of skin health. Needling of the skin has been described for centuries but has now been mechanized to help deliver reliable distribution and depth of the skin injury. The needles are used to puncture the skin to create a controlled skin injury, which creates microscopic channels into the dermis to stimulate the skin’s natural production of new collagen and elastin.
Microneedling therapy is also known as collagen induction therapy (CIT). Results can include improved texture and firmness, as well as help reduce the appearance of fine lines, scarring, pore size, stretch marks, discoloration and other skin tone and texture irregularities.
What Conditions Can Microneedling Fix?
Microneedle based procedures can be used to effectively treat a variety of issues including:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Sun damage and aging spots
- Light to moderate acne scarring
- Stretch marks
- Issues with skin texture or pore size
- Post-surgical scarring
- Loss of collagen
While this procedure is most commonly performed to treat the effects of aging, it can be performed on patients of any age who are looking to restore their skin to a smooth and healthier looking skin.
How is Microneedling Performed?
- A comfortable procedure.A topical numbing agent will be applied to ensure your comfort during the procedure.
- A short procedure time.Procedure time may range from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- A mild sensation.Most patients report feeling just the slight vibration of SkinPen® during the procedure.
- Mild post-procedure effects. The skin will appear slightly pink to red immediately post-procedure, similar to a mild to moderate sunburn.
- Soothing aftercare.After either a calming balm will be applied or if you chose to add the growth factor that will be applied to area and sent home to be applied every 12 hours. By creating micro-channels, skin care products are delivered to the skin more effectively thereby enhancing the results.
- A plan for optimal results.Typically 3-6 treatments appropriate for your skin’s needs and request you return within 4-6 weeks for your next procedure to ensure optimal results.
- A post-procedure skin care regimen to optimize your results.Depending on your skin type and concerns, proper skin care will be recommended for continued use
- Beautiful, lasting results.
SkinPen results vary between individuals and type of skin care concerns being addressed. A series of 3 treatments spaced 4 weeks apart is recommended to achieve maximum results. For patients with deep scarring, advanced aging and stretch marks it is recommended to receive 6-8 sessions at 4-6 week intervals.
Micro-Needling is safe for patients with all skin colors (Fitzpatrick scale types) and skin types. There is minimal risk of pigmentation or post-inflammatory related issues.
What Results Can I expect from microneedling?
Microneedling is a comfortable in-office procedure that can be applied to most skin types and areas. The depth, density and frequency of treatments can be individualized for the goals and skin type of the patient.
- Microneedling can be used to gently treat fine lines, textural issues, and scarring with a very simple and comfortable treatment with little to no downtime.
- Collagen can be promoted with the incorporation of growth factor concentrates which are applied at the time of treatment and during the healing phase of the skin.
- Active skin care should be started before treatments and continued after to encourage even skin tone and optimize results.
- Repetitive treatment sessions are necessary to see results.
- The microneedling treatments should be separated at a minimum of 4 weeks apart and at least 3 sessions are recommended.
It is important for patients to realize that microneedling does have risks which do vary directly with the density and depth. Common risks of microneedling include: infection, scarring, pigmentation changes, and un-eveness. Microneedling planning, including depth selection, skin pretreatment and viral prophylaxis can all help decrease the risks involved with treatments. Dr. Trussler will discuss any risks with you prior to treatment in order to ensure the most successful results for your procedure.
After Care & Recovery:
The downtime with SkinPen depends on the depth of the repair process required. It is typical for patients to have some slight redness for approximately 1-2 days following the procedure. Many patients heal completely in about 24 hours. The use of a medical grade growth factor, TaC Core Recovery Complex, is applied to the skin immediately after the procedure and given to the patient to apply at home for the following 48 hours. Applying sunscreen to treated area will be the final step in protecting the new layer of skin exposed to the sun.
TaC Core Recovery Complex has been formulated to help improve the appearance of aging, damaged and post –procedure skin. It’s highly concentrated clinical human growth factors encourages the transformation of skin back to youthful state. Also, helps support the skin’s ability to repair sun and environmental damage that causes signs of aging.
Whether you have a question or would like to setup a microneedling consultation, Dr. Trussler and his staff are here to help. Please fill out our contact form, or call our office at (512) 450-1077 to schedule an appointment. Start your skin resurfacing journey to not only looking, but feeling better today!
Alternatives to Microneedling:
Beautiful skin free from scars, hyperpigmentation or wrinkle, is the goal of many men and woman. Until now, most effective skin enhancing treatments have involved the use of lasers, chemical peels and dermabrasion, which can be painful and may take several days to weeks to heal. Microneedling with the SkinPen offers a safe and effective, non-surgical treatment option that could be used effectively on any part of the body with little to no downtime.
Microneedling can be used to treat the face, neck, back, arms legs, décolletage and abdomen, as well as on any skin type. It may be used in combination with human growth factor for accelerated results and optimal healing time.