Five Facts About Bromelain: How about those (pine)apples?
- Posted on: Sep 1 2014
Bromelain is naturally occurring compound extracted from the fruit and stems of pineapple. It’s positive effects on healing have been harnessed for centuries, and it has been studied for over 50 years. Bromelain has been recommended to post-surgical patients because of its potentially advantageous effects on swelling and healing.
1. What is Bromelain?
It is a combination of protease enzymes, which are extracted from the fruit and stems of the pineapple.
- They have effects on blocking the body’s inflammatory effects.
2. What are the positive effects of Bromelain?
The effects of Bromelain are comparable to Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflamatory Drugs (NSAIDs) and include:
- Reduced inflammation
- Decreased swelling
- Reduced pain
- Improved healing
- Faster recovery
3. What is the effective dose of Bromelain?
The suggested dose is 500 to 1000 mg of bromelain taken on an empty stomach. The bromelain supplement needs to be enteric coated so that they do not activate in the stomach, but rather are absorbed in the intestine. They should not be taken with other medications like antibiotics because they can negatively effect their actions.
4. When should Bromelain be started after surgery?
Bromelain can be started the day of surgery and continued for one week. The daily dose can be divided into 2 for ease of use. A total of 4 days of Bromelain is effective.
5. What are the side-effects of Bromelain?
Just like any homeopathic drug, its compounding may vary in effective enzymes. An enteric form is necessary for effect. Care should be taken when combining Bromelain with other anti-inflammatory and anti-platelet medications, as the effects may be altered by Bromelain, which may lead to increased risk of bleeding, blood clots and, heart arrhythmias.
The most effective methods of improving post-surgical recovery are:
- choosing the proper plastic surgery procedure for you which includes accurate surgical technique
- maintaining proper health (operating on healthy patients with normal BMIs, good nutrition habits and proper exercise regimes)
- smoking cessation
- compliance with activity limitations
- healthy balanced diet with adequate protein supplementation for healing.
Dr. Trussler in Austin Texas encourages patients to start Bromelain 3 days prior to any operative procedure and continue 3 days after. Bromelain is provided as part of the plastic surgery pre-operative package for his cosmetic surgery patients in Austin Texas.
Posted in: Uncategorized