The sun emits two forms of harmful ultraviolet radiation (UVA and UVB) which cause damage to the skin. Skin cancers, pigment changes and wrinkles are all effects of the sun’s harmful radiation. Protecting the skin from damage with sunscreen and sunblocks is a proven effective way to prevent the harmful effects of both UVA and UVB radiation. On a microscopic view, UV radiation causes skin protein damage, abnormal stimulation of pigment cells, genetic mutations, and formation of destructive free radicals. Sunscreens and sunblocks are not perfect and when not reapplied or applied inconsistently, sun damage can still occur.
- UVA has a longer wavelength and penetrates deeper into the skin which does not cause a burn but can lead to silent damage to the skin.
Antioxidants, like Vitamin C can help to protect the skin from the potentially harmful by-products of UV radiation such as oxidative free radicals and MMPs. Antioxidants are depleted as well through sun exposure leading to a double hit to the skin. Replacing and improving the skins natural protective mechanisms helps to fight the damage from the sun.
- Antioxidants and Sunscreens can be combined for an effective preventative and reparative skin regimen for daily use.
Vitamin C: commonly in the form of L-ascorbic acid, can help to improve the skins natural defense against the sun, increase collagen production, and decrease inflammation after sun exposure. Topical Vitamin C has been shown to be more effective than oral mega-doses on the local effects on the skin.
- Daily use of a Vitamin C product, such as SkinCeuticals® Serum 15, can help to protect the skin while improving fine lines and pigment.
Vitamin E: commonly formulated as α-tocopherol, can be combined with Vitamin C as co-antioxidants to help improve the delivery of both protective agents into the skin. Vitamin E helps to provide photo-protection by boosting the skin’s natural defense mechanism, as well as improving the skin’s lipid barrier to prevent it from drying out.
- SkinCeuticals® does offer a C E Ferulic Serum which combines both Vitamin C and E in potent topical formulation to be used daily.
Daily protective and corrective regimen would include:
- Morning cleansing appropriate for your skin followed by a detoxifying cleanser
- After this step 3 drops of an anti-oxidant serum applied to the face followed by a moisturizer with sunscreen
- Sunscreen should be reapplied if outdoors.
- An antioxidant formulation for nighttime use could include SkinCeuticals® Resveratrol B E for a its reparative properties
- SkinCeuticals® Phyto Corrective Gel could be applied to help decrease inflammation from the days activities.
Andrew P. Trussler MD is a plastic surgeon in Austin Texas that carries a full compliment of SkinCeuticals products for all skin types. The Hydrating B5 Gel can be used as an everyday hydrating skin care staple for all skin types.
- SkinCeuticals offers an advanced skin care line to help prevent future damage, protect healthy skin and correct previous damage.
Dr. Trussler’s Austin plastic surgery office can help direct you to the skin care products that can help your skin look and feel its best.