Aging of the skin can lead to fine lines, wrinkles, and pigment changes. Damage from the sun, smoking and air pollution can further damage the skin. Sunscreens only prevent further damage from the sun, but anti-oxidants can both protect and reverse the effects of the environment and aging. Choosing the right anti-oxidant serum is important to match your skin, the desired effects and the targeted problems in your skin.
- There are numerous formulations of anti-oxidants, which can be tailored for you depending on your skin type and underlying issues
Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) helps to defend against the harmful effects of UV radiation on the skin through the neutralization of free radicals. Vitamin C encourages collagen and elastin formation, which helps to improve the texture and tone of the skin. Vitamin C can also have an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin.
Vitamin E (Tocopherol) works synergistically with other co-antioxidants like Vitamin C to help protect and neutralize the harmful effects of the sun on the skin, as well as maintaining a moisture barrier for the skin. Vitamin E is lipid soluble and may be too hydrating for oily or acne prone skin.
C E Ferulic (15% L-ascorbic acid/1% alpha tocopherol/ferulic acid)
- Ideal for normal to dry skin because of the Vitamin E
- All anti-oxidants work together to provide a super anti-oxidant serum
- Protects against sun damage
- Stimulates collagen
- Increases skin firmness and reduces fine lines
- Can be used in conjunction with sunscreens
Phloretin CF (2% Phloretin/10% L-ascorbic acid/0.5% ferulic acid)
- Ideal for normal, oily or combination skin
- Preventative serum for early aging and photo damage (UV-induced discoloration)
- Protects against the harmful effects of UV radiation
- Improves collagen formation for improved tone and texture
Serum 15 (15% L-ascorbic acid/ferulic acid)
- Ideal for normal to oily skin, as well as acne prone skin
- Protects against the harmful effects of the UV radiation on the skin
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Can be used with other topical products like sunscreens
Hydrating B5 Gel
- Ideal for all skin types
- Oil free
- Helps to smooth the skin and improve the effects of a daily moisturizer
- Combine with Vitamin C serum to help with tissue repair
- Pre-existing sun damage with moderate fine lines and aging with normal to dry skin: CE Ferulic
- Premature or early skin aging with diffuse pigment changes with normal to oily skin: Phloretin CF
- Fine lines and combination skin including acne: Serum 15
Dr. Trussler in his Austin Texas plastic surgery practice can help develop an active skin care regimen that is right for you and your skin.