More than 300,000 women underwent breast augmentation last year. The year prior, the number was just below that mark. Since the year 2000, the popularity of breast augmentation has remained consistent with more than 200,000 procedures performed annually. This tells us something. It tells us that many women are finding it possible to attend to their cosmetic desires and that breast augmentation provides the results that patients want.
Breast augmentation isn’t all about adding volume that never fully culminated in the shape a woman may want. This procedure can also correct volume loss, asymmetry, and the effects of aging. Women who undergo breast augmentation often say they just want to feel more feminine and powerful in their sensuality. We are happy to support patients who are interested in this procedure. Here, we offer that support in the way of tips for the best possible outcome from breast enhancement.
- DO take your time choosing a qualified plastic surgeon. Dr. Trussler is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with specialty training in cosmetic surgery. He has extensive training and experience in breast augmentation as well as breast reconstruction.
- DO quit smoking well before your surgery.
- DON’T pick up smoking again until you have fully healed from your surgery. Chemicals in cigarettes increase the risks of surgery and minimize the body’s ability to recover well.
- DO arrange for help around the house, especially with pets and children. You may be surprised at how good you feel and at how difficult it is to NOT slip right back into your regular duties around the house.
- DON’T overdo chores, parenting, or exercise. The reason why there are activity restrictions after breast augmentation is that a capsule of tissue needs to form around breast implants. If the pectoral muscles are worked, this capsule may not develop as well as it could.
- DON’T soak in a bubble bath – or any tub for that matter. Water may contain bacteria and other microorganisms that could penetrate healing incisions. Avoiding baths, spas, and pools is the best way to prevent infection.
- DO call your doctor if you have any questions during your recovery.
The team in our Austin office is happy to speak with you about breast augmentation. Schedule your consultation at (512) 450-1077.