Smaller volume breast implants in breast augmentation are the plastic surgery trend for 2016
The term the “Brazilian B” has been recently used to define a breast shape and size (b-c cup) commonly seen on South American beaches. The smaller breast shape is more proportional and natural which makes them appropriate for an athletic beach body.
- The trend towards smaller breast implants is not new, but with the advent of shaped implants and a younger, athletic look, a smaller implant that gives about a cup size increase can effectively reshape the chest, refine the proportion of the body and not be obvious in athletic clothing, let alone weigh you down working out and running.
There are numerous other advantages to smaller volume breast implants including:
- Decreased scarring: smaller implants can be placed through smaller more inconspicuous incisions than larger implants.
- Easier recovery: smaller breast implants put less stretch on the breast tissue and muscle and will settle and drop into the pocket quicker than larger implants, as well there is less discomfort after a breast augmentation with smaller breast implants
- Less risk of stretch: less volume equals less weight on the breast which translates into less long-term risk of stretch on the breast tissue and bottoming out
- Less risk of numbness: smaller implants do not need a wide pocket. The nerve to the nipple enters the breast on the side of the chest which is the most lateral border of the implant pocket. A smaller implant will not put stretch on this nerve.
- Increased longevity with less risk of stretch and less risk of scarring there is likely more longevity with the breast implants, especially with cohesive silicone breast implants
Silicone breast implants are now filled with cohesive silicone gel or “Gummy Bear” breast implant, which does not leak through the shell of the breast implant and if ruptured will stay in the breast capsule without spreading. Silicone and saline breast implants look the same, but silicone will feel more natural especially in the thin, athletic chest.
- Silicone breast implants now have a 10-year warranty which demonstrates the manufactures confidence in their durability.
Small breast implants can be placed under or over the muscle. When a breast implant is placed under the muscle the upper pole of the breast is more natural and less rounded, especially with a smaller volume breast implant, which contributes to the “Brazilian B” look. A sub muscular breast implant has more coverage in the upper part of the breast with less risk of palpability. One down side of a sub muscular breast augmentation is the risk of animation deformity which is movement of the implant with pectoral muscle flexing, this is expected though minimize with proper muscle release.
Breast Implant Size range and shape: one cup size is equivalent to about 200 cc therefore a “Brazilain B” cup may be in the 200 to 300 cc size range depending on chest size and patient height. A moderate profile implant will be more natural appearing than a higher profile implant. There are now anatomic breast implants, which may be considered in the athletic patient.
Recovery after the breast augmentation is straightforward. It is an hour-long procedure with very limited downtime. Back to work is expected after a long weekend and cardio can be resumed after 2 to 3 weeks with chest exercise and yoga in 4 to 6 weeks.
Andrew P. Trussler MD is an experienced plastic surgeon in Austin Texas with advanced training in cosmetic breast surgery including breast augmentation with breast implants.
Dr. Trussler’s Austin plastic surgery office can help guide you in correcting commonly seen cosmetic breast complaints. A breast augmentation with breast implants is a plastic surgery procedure in Austin Texas that should be a smooth and straight forward process that will help improve appearance and self confidence.