Lower eyelid appearance can vary through the day, which indicates the tissues are active and reactive to the body and its environment. Simple care can help to improve the appearance of the lower eyelid and decrease the variability in puffiness and under eye-bags.
- Common Complaints: dark circles, lower eyelid lines, under eye bags, puffiness, and excess skin
1. Warm compresses in the morning to improve circulation and cooling compresses at night to help relieve swelling. Lower eyelids are made up of skin , muscle and fat. The fat is metabolically active and very sensitive to environmental factors. Warm compresses improve circulation and can help dissipate puffiness whereas cool compresses calms the eyelid from the day’s activities and stress.
2. Optimize your environment through clean and healthy living. If the eye is the window to the soul then the eyelid covers it. Personal experience will tell you that lower eyelids will appear worse after a long night. Improving general health can promote improvement in lower eyelid appearance:
- Good nutrition
- Smoking cessation
- Adequate sleep
3. Skin care specifically designed for the eyelid can promote hydration of the thin skin. Smoothing effects as well as sun screen, can help with fine lines and the texture of the lower eyelid skin.
- Daytime eye care may include a specific moisturizer with an anti-oxidant, growth factor and light diffuser to help smooth the lower eyelid.
- Nightime eye care should include a pigment modulator to help with dark circles and an active agent to help promote collagen production.
- The Skinmedica® TNS™ Eye Repair cream based products are easily applied and easily tolerated in this area. This is a growth factor based product which can help stimulate collagen and eliminate fine lines.
- The A.G.E Eye Complex from SkinCeuticals® is a daily optical diffuser to help deflect shadowing, while improving the skin’s texture through hydration and potent anti-oxidants.
4. Injectable Fillers for can add volume to the lower eyelid hollows or tear trough. This is a soft tissue void or deep line created through the descent of the cheek fat and bulging of the lower eyelid fat pad. Hyaluronic acid filler injected along the orbital rim can help to smooth and fill this area. These are in-office procedures, which can last over one year.
- Restylane®: soft gel for the tear trough
- Perlane®: firmer gel, ideal for the cheek and midface to help blend and support the lower eyelid enhancement
- Juvederm®: mild to moderate volumetric enhancement in the tear trough and cheek.
- Voluma®: form stable gel which can enhance the cheek and midface with long lasting results.
5. Chemical Peels of the lower eyelid can help improve skin tone and texture. A light chemical peel consisting of a glycolic acid or TCA can help to freshen the skin and ultimately tighten the lower eyelid to help eliminate mild lower eyelid skin excess.
These steps can help to improve the appearance of the lower eyelid and can be applied to the early aging of the lower eyelid. Moderate to severe lower eyelid skin excess, bagginess and deep hollows can be addressed with a lower eyelid blepharoplasty combined with a midface lift. A consult in the plastic surgery office of Dr. Trussler in Austin TX can help direct individual care to improve the appearance the lower eyelid.